January 14, 2020 at 2:45PM •
1 hour 16 minutes
DISCUSSED: A fun and creepy new face swap app; Twitter is not creating much new happy; this leads to a discussion of generational perceptions about what's acceptable or even desirable (especially with Apple products); praise for the podcast, The Dream; Merlin gets a new clock; the origin of
#MerlinsPoopList; who pays $168 for a bikini?; Merlin has uvula problems; Dan explores P&S Liquid and an upsetting gurgling noise; and, finally, "Back to the Mac 2020™" kicks off with a first dive into the magic of Obdev's LaunchBar.
January 7, 2020 at 1:15PM •
1 hour 8 minutes
Merlin needs help in the NOC; Dan discovers sensitive sauce; there are thresholds; hurting your roller skating muscles; new printer; and, finally, Merlin conducts a long exploration of unnecessary efficiencies, evolved technologies, and the minimum viable productivity system.
December 31, 2019 at 12:30PM •
1 hour 12 minutes
For this very special end of the century, fin de siècle episode, Dan and Merlin make bespoke personal recommendations for music, podcasts, apps, TV shows, YouTube videos, and gadgets.
December 24, 2019 at 5:00PM •
1 hour 23 minutes
DISCUSSED: holiday lizard talk; some benefits of using "Environment" and "Journal" calendars; nostalgia for the Palm family of products in general and Graffiti in particular; responses to listener letters about: finding a "hook" for a new habit, physical media follow-up, HomeKit dinguses, Markdown editors, the joys of the TaskPaper lifestyle, advice on recovering from a disruption, and, finally, some thoughts on the unexpected benefits of disruption.
December 17, 2019 at 10:00PM •
1 hour 15 minutes
DISCUSSED: Dan presents a curious new bathroom project; some thoughts on OCD, procrastination, and empathy; praise for Fury Road, Inglourious Basterds, and Dunkirk; Dan has follow-up on his awesome new laptop and the state of Unix shells; Merlin makes the case for occasionally getting unused to things.
December 10, 2019 at 4:30PM •
1 hour 12 minutes
DISCUSSED: Drafts for Mac is out!; check out Damon Lindelof on The Watch; suggestions for HomeKit power strips; and responses to listener letters on rediscovering the joys of physical media and getting started with addressing chronic pain.
December 3, 2019 at 1:00PM •
1 hour 8 minutes
- the commercials you get in your head
- listener feedback on music management
- first results of Merlin's own deep dive on music management alternatives
- thoughts on the "safety" that ends up making us less safe
- the perverse magic of "ghoti"
- thoughts on Dan's cool new laptop
- getting the shell you want
- sometimes Daddy needs to go in the closet
November 27, 2019 at 10:00AM •
1 hour 19 minutes
DISCUSSED: Merlin has an email confession; Dan steps up with a shoulder; listeners have given your hosts a season of the show; praise for HBO's Watchmen; a discussion of curating media for kids; Merlin exercises Personal Privilege; everybody is different!; praise for the new MacBook Pro (and who it may or may not be good for); the beginnings of what could be an extensive series on reclaiming control of your own media; some Plex homework for both listeners and your hosts; a brief rant on the downsides and limitations of renting other people's music; Merlin is birthday-gifted with Planty II plus some awesome @pants materials.
November 19, 2019 at 5:00PM •
1 hour 27 minutes
- updates on travel and packing
- a new notebook Merlin likes
- finding a notebook that accommodates both your brain and the shape of your day
- Merlin's bespoke six-block notebook method
- Dan struggles mightily with his hotel room
- a notional badge for gauging lifetime exposure to a ubiquitous TV celebrity
- some more travel talk, including the promise for a future dedicated episode on travel updates
- a suggestion for trying iOS Voice Control
- finally, in some detail, we return to Synology Corner
November 14, 2019 at 5:00PM •
1 hour 34 minutes
Our worst episode ever. Enjoy!